[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Apr 4 14:02:54 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am 04.04.2013 um 13:48 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 2013-04-04 10:03, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 04.04.2013 um 11:40 schrieb Bob Ham:
>
>> The A5 board design has the correct contact points for a new earpiece
>> we can buy in small quantities at a reasonable price, while the A4
>> board doesn't. And, we have prepared it to better accomodate a new
>> UMTS antenna.
>
> I see.
>

>>> You said there are about €3000 of one-off costs.  I presumed this meant one-off costs for each design; that is, the stencil and machine setup could be reused for different production runs of the same design.  When you said "one-off" is that per design, or per production run?
>>
>> Mainly per design.
>
> OK, so there is less of a barrier for producing new A4 boards, which is at least good if the A5 is never produced.

I would say the barriers are the same - only slightly different.

>> If you repeat a production run after let's say 3 months without any
>> change of this basic data, only the machine setup and tear down time
>> costs additional money.
>
> So there are some per-production run costs as well, I see.

Yes.

>> What I even forgot to mention is CE (re)certification cost for
>> changes. But it is <1000 EUR.
>
> In total then, there are about €4000 in one-off costs for a production run of a new design.  I think it's eminently possible to raise that through crowdfunding.  Moreover, I don't think we're going to determine, a priori, whether such a crowdfunding effort will be successful.  I think the only way to determine whether it will be successful is to do it.
>
> So why not do it? :-)

Because it misses a crucial point: getting the one-off costs is only half of the problem. The other one is that if we want to produce 100 units, we need to buy components for 100 units. And as long as there are not 100 orders for 100 units, there is still missing a lot of money to stock the not-yet needed components.