[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Apr 4 12:03:56 CEST 2013

Am 04.04.2013 um 11:40 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 2013-04-04 09:15, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 03.04.2013 um 18:16 schrieb Bob Ham:
>
>>> At present there don't seem to be any fully working boards for sale at all.  Nikolaus, are you intending to produce any more GTA04A4 boards if the GTA04A5 remains financially untenable?
>>
>> There is no difference between A4 and A5 boards except some minor
>> redesign (replace BMA180 by some other accelerometer, replace FDJ1027
>> treansistor by some other, add a wire for the 1s impulse from GPS to
>> some interrupt input).
>
> I'm confused by this.  Firstly because it seems to imply that there is no finanicial difference between producing the A4 and A5 and secondly, because it seems to be implying that the GTA04A5 isn't required for case kits.  Could you possibly clarify these points?

I forgot to mention that. We tried to make a case kit for the A4 board but it is impossible because we don't get the original mechanical parts used in the GTA02 case any more. These are:
* earpiece
* GPS antenna
* vibra motor
* UMTS antenna

The A5 board design has the correct contact points for a new earpiece we can buy in small quantities at a reasonable price, while the A4 board doesn't. And, we have prepared it to better accomodate a new UMTS antenna.

> You said there are about €3000 of one-off costs.  I presumed this meant one-off costs for each design; that is, the stencil and machine setup could be reused for different production runs of the same design.  When you said "one-off" is that per design, or per production run?

Mainly per design. Design meaning paperwork describing everything. This starts with gerber data for the PCBs, stencil design and Pick&Place programs.
If you repeat a production run after let's say 3 months without any change of this basic data, only the machine setup and tear down time costs additional money.

But as soon as we change let's say the footprint of the BMA180 to a chip we can still buy, it means updating the PCB layout, making new gerber data and for the PCB company it is a new project and not a reorder of the exising project.

What I even forgot to mention is CE (re)certification cost for changes. But it is <1000 EUR.

> I was labouring under the impression that the A5 would enable case kits:
>
> On 2013-01-07 17:55, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 07.01.2013 um 04:56 schrieb NeilBrown:
>
>>> What else is on the A5 todo list?
>
>> Non-software related changes replace some obsolete components, improve the
>> GPS antenna switch, reduce noise generated by SD card interface, and make a
>> really complete case kit possible with components from continued production.
>

> Is it the case that the A5 is needed for a complete case kit?  If it's not needed and it's possible to produce complete case kits for use with the GTA04A4, can I ask why kits are not for sale?

Anyways there are not enough orders - neither for A4 nor A5.

A glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel is that in the last two weeks since we started this discussion, there are more new entries in the "whishlist".

-- hns