[Gta04-owner] Replicant images on GTA04 release

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Fri Sep 14 12:45:31 CEST 2012

On Friday, September 14, 2012 08:45:43 AM Paul Kocialkowski wrote:

> > I quite dont like that the script deletes the whole SD card (or am i
> > wrong?). I have 32GB uSD card with 24GB of data on it (mp3, images,
> > videos, maps etc..)
>
> You're absolutely right, the script will erase the SD card.

In the end i found second SD card for experimenting. I tried the script, but
since the reader in my notebook reckognizes the sd card as /dev/mmcblk0 (and
the partitions are mmcblk0p1) it did not work. But i have modified it to
prepend "p" in front of partition number and now i got now the system SD card.

But i was quite surprised i even cant boot from this SD card. It requires me
to flash bootloader and kernel in NAND (or am i wrong?).

Why? I can understand that android likes 3 partitions on SD card, but why it
needs even flashing stuff to NAND. I have in NAND goldelico's kernel and debian
that came with the phone and it's invaluable when i do something wrong with SD
card. Why does replicant requires to delete all non-android bits on the device
to start running? Is there any technical reason to flash NAND?

I think it will be quite hard for normal users to install normal distro again.
I spent many hours troubleshooting Freerunner users because of non standard
bootloader that Android on Freerunner was using. Could we please avoid this on
GTA04...

Regards

Radek