[Gta04-owner] Replicant images on GTA04 release

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Sep 14 14:48:54 CEST 2012

Am 14.09.2012 um 12:45 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Friday, September 14, 2012 08:45:43 AM Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
>
>>> I quite dont like that the script deletes the whole SD card (or am i
>>> wrong?). I have 32GB uSD card with 24GB of data on it (mp3, images,
>>> videos, maps etc..)
>>
>> You're absolutely right, the script will erase the SD card.
>
> In the end i found second SD card for experimenting. I tried the script, but
> since the reader in my notebook reckognizes the sd card as /dev/mmcblk0 (and
> the partitions are mmcblk0p1) it did not work. But i have modified it to
> prepend "p" in front of partition number and now i got now the system SD card.
>
> But i was quite surprised i even cant boot from this SD card. It requires me
> to flash bootloader and kernel in NAND (or am i wrong?).
>
> Why? I can understand that android likes 3 partitions on SD card, but why it
> needs even flashing stuff to NAND. I have in NAND goldelico's kernel and debian
> that came with the phone and it's invaluable when i do something wrong with SD
> card. Why does replicant requires to delete all non-android bits on the device
> to start running? Is there any technical reason to flash NAND?
>
> I think it will be quite hard for normal users to install normal distro again.
> I spent many hours troubleshooting Freerunner users because of non standard
> bootloader that Android on Freerunner was using. Could we please avoid this on
> GTA04...

Yes, this should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
AFAIK there are Android ports for the BeagleBoard XM or PandaBoard which
have no NAND at all.

If it needs special bootargs, you should provide private boot.scr or bootargs.scr for
the FAT partition of SD image to control where the kernel and rootfs are loaded
from.

Hope this is possible. If you need additional explanations how the boot system
works in detail, please contact me for sharing experience.

BR and continue the good work on Replicant!