[Gta04-owner] Hints for installing QtMoko on recently delivered GTA04 boards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Oct 28 20:05:10 CET 2012

Am 28.10.2012 um 17:09 schrieb Mark Müller:

> Hi,
>
>> We are currently in the middle of improving, fixing and testing the boot system (x-loader, u-boot, boot.scr) and a new release of the hw-validation Debian/LXDE system is planned soon. So if you did take the "unstable" one, you may have just been unlucky. The new one (after being stable) should be more robust to really bring the device into a defined state.
>>
>> Radek has upgraded the qtmoko installation instructions right after my comments.
>>
>> I think nothing wrong. Besides "unstable" is exactly what is says...
> OK, thanks. For the logs and others that are trying to get a bootable QtMoko with the new unstable branch of the boot system:
>
> SHR works out of the box with the new unstable system, just replacing the uImage in the boot partition with the one from the SHR root partition in /boot/. As QtMoko does not work for me and booting the kernel ends up in a reboot loop, I replaced the kernel from QtMoko with the SHR kernel:
> I used the Debian/LXDE boot system from unstable, replaced uImage in the boot partition with the one from SHR staging (./boot/uImage-3.4.9) and copied the kernel and modules from SHR to the QtMoko root partition. Et voilà - it worked!
>
> BTW: How is the design for multiboot (booting multiple distributions) supposed to work? The new u-boot menu has options to boot from SD1-4 as it looks. But it's using the kernel on the first (FAT) partition, isn't it?

It is supposed to work differently from what it is currently doing. I.e. everything is "unstable" and work in progress :)

The reason is that implementing ideas by u-boot scripts isn't straightforward due to its crippled down shell. There will be an announcement, description and installation instructions in the next days.