[Gta04-owner] Hints for installing QtMoko on recently delivered GTA04 boards

Mark Müller markmueller86 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 17:09:30 CET 2012

Hi,

> We are currently in the middle of improving, fixing and testing the
> boot system (x-loader, u-boot, boot.scr) and a new release of the
> hw-validation Debian/LXDE system is planned soon. So if you did take
> the "unstable" one, you may have just been unlucky. The new one (after
> being stable) should be more robust to really bring the device into a
> defined state.
>
> Radek has upgraded the qtmoko installation instructions right after my
> comments.
>
> I think nothing wrong. Besides "unstable" is exactly what is says...
OK, thanks. For the logs and others that are trying to get a bootable
QtMoko with the new unstable branch of the boot system:

SHR works out of the box with the new unstable system, just replacing
the uImage in the boot partition with the one from the SHR root
partition in /boot/. As QtMoko does not work for me and booting the
kernel ends up in a reboot loop, I replaced the kernel from QtMoko with
the SHR kernel:
I used the Debian/LXDE boot system from unstable, replaced uImage in the
boot partition with the one from SHR staging (./boot/uImage-3.4.9) and
copied the kernel and modules from SHR to the QtMoko root partition. Et
voilà - it worked!

BTW: How is the design for multiboot (booting multiple distributions)
supposed to work? The new u-boot menu has options to boot from SD1-4 as
it looks. But it's using the kernel on the first (FAT) partition, isn't it?

- Mark