[Gta04-owner] New SD card setup

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 20:32:41 CEST 2012

On Sunday 07 October 2012 15:12:00 Lionel Broche wrote:
> - First, do we need swap if we want to use sleep mode? (or
> other features?)
I don't think so, but I don't know either: I never ran without swap. QtMoko is
quite optimized for use without writing to flash, so I expect it to be
unnecessary.

> - Also, how much memory is needed for partitions 2 and 3, on top of the
> system files? Is QTMoko writing anything into partition 2 during use, or
> does all the data go into partition 3?
I used to run QtMoko without such a data partition, though I do now. (I only
recently learned such a partition was expected/used by the system.) It depends
of course on how much stuff you want to lug with you on the road (sound
recordings/music/video files). QtMoko itself hardly writes to the card
(logging has to be turned on explicitly, for example).

> - the
> wiki<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/qtmoko/index.php?title=Installa
> tion>and the
> beagleboard
> page<http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/LinuxBootDiskFormat>do not
> mention a third partition for data (or the use of ext4 format). Is that
> because they are not up to date or is this 4-partitions config not really
> necessary?
The use of ext4 is relatively recent, so it could be the page is not up to
date. Ext3 still works, though.

> - Is FAT32 necessary for partition 3? (I suspect it is...)
The reason for that is so you can connect your phone to a computer running
Windows, and exchange files without installing drivers for ext or other
filesystems.

Best regards,

Boudewijn