[Gta04-owner] New SD card setup

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Sun Oct 7 20:44:50 CEST 2012

On Sunday, October 07, 2012 03:12:00 PM Lionel Broche wrote:

> - from the sourceforge
> site<http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/GTA04/>I can see
> that 3 or 4 partitions are required, depending if swap is
> activated or not. First, do we need swap if we want to use sleep mode? (or
> other features?)

1st partition is boot. It's filesystem is FAT and it has to be small so that
the bootloader works.

2nd is roofs. It's filesystem is read/write ext4 filesystem. 512MB size should
be ok, i am personally using 2GB so that i can install gdb and have some space
for experiments.

3rd partition is for media/documents and it's filesystem is FAT32. It's
optional, but very useful to have. I am using it for mp3, videos, NeronGPS
tile cache is there and i have all contacts there as vcf file. The good thing
about it is that you can format 2nd partition without backing up all this stuff
that is here. I have 24GB on this partition.

4rd partition is optinal swap. It should not be needed for any normal
operation. Good e.g. if you compile big files.

> - Also, how much memory is needed for partitions 2 and 3, on top of the
> system files? Is QTMoko writing anything into partition 2 during use, or
> does all the data go into partition 3?

2nd partition is used for writing nearly all things.

> - the
> wiki<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/qtmoko/index.php?title=Installa
> tion>and the
> beagleboard
> page<http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/LinuxBootDiskFormat>do not
> mention a third partition for data (or the use of ext4 format). Is that
> because they are not up to date or is this 4-partitions config not really
> necessary?

You can skip 3rd and 4th and it should work without problems. But as i said
having data partition is nice - having all the data on the rootfs system is
not very practical in case you want to reformat it.

The rootfs filesystem in case of QtMoko can be ext3, ext4 or btrfs. I think
ext4 is best.

> - Is FAT32 necessary for partition 3? (I suspect it is...)

IIRC it should be FAT, maybe ext3 or ext4 could work too, but i havent tried.
Maybe it would need change in Storage.conf for it.

Regards

Radek