[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49 - Look and feel

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Thu Nov 29 09:58:32 CET 2012

Hello Nikolaus,

>> Wouldn't it be a good idea to have two different penguin pictures? That
means
>> in addition to "splash.rgb16z" we could have a "splash.rgb16z.flash".
Bootloader
>> would then use version "splash.rgb16z.flash" in order to flash it to
NAND and by
>> the way give it the name "splash.rgb16z" there. Then also dummies like
me would
>> see at one glance what's going on, when the penguin for example wears a
shirt
>> with writing "NAND" or "SD" on it or something like that.
>
> Unfortunately it is already quite a hack to have two different
bitmaps... U-Boot can't
> do any image processing or GUI. So the trick is simply to copy a block
of bytes from
> NAND to RAM, unzip and set the framebuffer base address to the RAM
address.

But I can't believe that in case when booting from SD card, that then
you'll first copy from SD to NAND before copying from NAND to RAM. So I
still suggest:

a) In case you'll boot from SD card and see that you want to flash the
bootloader, copy image "splash.rgb16z.flash" instead of "splash.rgb16z"
from SD to NAND while displaying dark red and empty screen.

b) In case you'll  boot from SD card and see that you will not flash the
bootloader, copy image "splash.rgb16z" from SD to RAM and display this.

c) In case you'll boot from NAND, you don't have any other chance than
displaying image "splash.rgb16z.flash" from NAND.

> This is why I recommend to have a separate SD card for upgrading the
bootloader. Then you will know...

No, in case bootloader version of SD card and NAND are identical, I will
not know if I did something little wrong with formatting the SD card or
copying MLO and thus getting booted from NAND instead of SD. But I want to
know.

>> I can do the rebooting as often as I want to. The new bootloader will
never recognize
>> that it already has flashed itself. Later on I could even see this
behaviour after a proper
>> shutdown of QtMoko and soft reboot.
>
> Hm. This may be an issue by up- and downgrading between different
bootloaders. Please
> insert the new-bootloader-SD and boot with AUX button pressed.

OK, I'll try what happens.

Best regards
   Sven