[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49 - Look and feel

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Nov 29 08:55:20 CET 2012

Hi,

Am 28.11.2012 um 10:31 schrieb Sven Dyroff:

> Hello,
>
> meanwhile I had some more trials with bootloader 20121120 and QtMoko v49.
>
> 1.) I removed the old v47 SD card and tried to boot the phone without any card. Result: Yellow screen, then penguin, then colored flashing power button. That means, indeed a bootloader and its associated stuff had been flashed automatically into NAND at some time without giving any notice.
>
> -> Suggestion:
> Wouldn't it be a good idea to have two different penguin pictures? That means in addition to "splash.rgb16z" we could have a "splash.rgb16z.flash". Bootloader would then use version "splash.rgb16z.flash" in order to flash it to NAND and by the way give it the name "splash.rgb16z" there. Then also dummies like me would see at one glance what's going on, when the penguin for example wears a shirt with writing "NAND" or "SD" on it or something like that.

Unfortunately it is already quite a hack to have two different bitmaps... U-Boot can't do any image processing or GUI. So the trick is simply to copy a block of bytes from NAND to RAM, unzip and set the framebuffer base address to the RAM address.

> Especially please note: If a dummy like me has now a valid bootloader in NAND and puts an SD card into the phone that also has a valid bootloader, then I never know which one has really been booted and it would be very complicated always having to read and check all technical details in order to find out.

This is why I recommend to have a separate SD card for upgrading the bootloader. Then you will know...

> 2.) Nikolaus wrote: "The boot.scr is doing the auto-flashing when it detects a new version of itself." So for this reason I didn't do any modification on the v49 SD card, put it into the phone again and powered it on. Result: Dark red screen and no penguin. OK, that was expected. But because sometimes I can be scuzzy, I didn't wait for QtMoko to boot. Instead of that when seeing the boot menu, I removed the battery and then inserted it again. Result: Dark red screen and no penguin. NOK!
>
> -> Bug note:
> I can do the rebooting as often as I want to. The new bootloader will never recognize that it already has flashed itself. Later on I could even see this behaviour after a proper shutdown of QtMoko and soft reboot.

Hm. This may be an issue by up- and downgrading between different bootloaders. Please insert the new-bootloader-SD and boot with AUX button pressed.