[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Sun Nov 25 19:10:51 CET 2012

On 11/20/2012 10:47 PM, Neil Jerram wrote:
> "arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> writes:
>> hrm, yes ... clumsy.

> I agree that it would be better to fix this bug :-)  I'm happy to point
> anyone interested at the relevant code.  (I'd get to this eventually,
> but I have several other priorities first.)

I'm interested in taking a look, as it's rather annoying to me as well,
since I have several different networks I'm near regularly, with a lot
of others in the same areas. I still haven't gotten this to work right.

(I admit I haven't gotten around to setting up a QtMoko dev environment
yet, but getting a few pointers for this task might be enough to push me
into rounding off one of my square tuits.)

I have some ideas for how this interface can be improved, especially
wrt. connecting to new secured networks, but that's probably going to
take a while - so I think that I'd start with a change I believe would
be quite helpful in the meantime: stopping the automatic rescan.

The way I see it, that automatic rescanning is the trigger for most of
these problems, as the underlying bug of which network has which index
wouldn't matter much if the list wasn't updated while you were doing
something. There's a rescan entry in the menu, so you'd still be able to
rescan as much as needed - and once you've got a list with the network
you want, you really don't need it to rescan again. Especially not as
quickly as it's currently doing it.

Of course, automatic rescanning can be nice in some circumstances - so
it could still be an option - but I'm not so sure it should be default,
and definitely shouldn't be mandatory like it is now. (Even if the bug
is fixed, if it rescans at the wrong time, it might move your intended
target just as you press it...)

-Frode