[Gta04-owner] Another successful upgrade GTA02 -> GTA04 (except one little thing).

niels nift at maclisp.org
Sun Nov 25 17:39:12 CET 2012

Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Niels!
>
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 1:02 AM, niels <nift at maclisp.org> wrote:
>> Following the fine manual it all went very well, except I managed to
>> break of the gps socket for the external antenna. I was gently putting
>
> Too bad. Did the whole connector break off the board or was it just
> the round 'pipe' which broke off and the rest is still soldered onto
> the board?
> If its just the round piece, it can easily be fixed with a solder
> iron. Soldering the whole connector is much more difficult because one
> trace is probably damaged too (but can be done).

Unfortunately it was the whole connector that broke off.

>> 3. No charging.
>>
>> So now I have a completely emptied GTA02 battery. If I connect it to
>> an usb-charger It will boot up, powerbutton glows red, then green and
>> red again, but after seconds it goes completely dark, and it doesn't
>> seem to do any charging at all.
>>
>> If I leave the charge connected, it seemingly random starts to boot,
>> powerbutton lights up... some seconds later it turns of again.
>>
>> Will try to leave it in the charger overnight.
>
> This should work fine. If the battery is completely empty the phone
> charges it very slowly. As soon as the battery voltage reaches 3.2V
> (IIRC) the phone powers on and tries to boot. This fails because the
> battery does not hold enough charge to boot completely; the process
> restarts. With every iteration it gets closer to the point to finish
> booting, so just waiting for a while should fix the problem. As soon
> as the kernel (either from qt-moko or gta04-init) is running, the
> device can switch to fast charging mode to finish charging.

Ok that explains it. I got the battery charged through the night, and
have managed to keep the phone alive since. I does charge connected to
an usb cable also, but charging turns much more on/off than it used to
on the freerunner (gta02).

--
niels