[Gta04-owner] Another successful upgrade GTA02 -> GTA04 (except one little thing).

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 11:47:26 CET 2012

Hi Niels!

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 1:02 AM, niels <nift at maclisp.org> wrote:
> Following the fine manual it all went very well, except I managed to
> break of the gps socket for the external antenna. I was gently putting

Too bad. Did the whole connector break off the board or was it just
the round 'pipe' which broke off and the rest is still soldered onto
the board?
If its just the round piece, it can easily be fixed with a solder
iron. Soldering the whole connector is much more difficult because one
trace is probably damaged too (but can be done).

> 3. No charging.
>
> So now I have a completely emptied GTA02 battery. If I connect it to
> an usb-charger It will boot up, powerbutton glows red, then green and
> red again, but after seconds it goes completely dark, and it doesn't
> seem to do any charging at all.
>
> If I leave the charge connected, it seemingly random starts to boot,
> powerbutton lights up... some seconds later it turns of again.
>
> Will try to leave it in the charger overnight.

This should work fine. If the battery is completely empty the phone
charges it very slowly. As soon as the battery voltage reaches 3.2V
(IIRC) the phone powers on and tries to boot. This fails because the
battery does not hold enough charge to boot completely; the process
restarts. With every iteration it gets closer to the point to finish
booting, so just waiting for a while should fix the problem. As soon
as the kernel (either from qt-moko or gta04-init) is running, the
device can switch to fast charging mode to finish charging.

Best regards,
  Christoph