[Gta04-owner] Battery capacity calibration

Joachim Meyer jewmeyer at web.de
Sat Nov 24 17:47:14 CET 2012

Hello,

Am Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2012, 10:58:43 schrieb EdorFaus:
> On 10/28/2012 12:19 AM, EdorFaus wrote:
> > My question then became: how do I calibrate it?
> >
> > Trying to search online only gave me some information for Mac laptops,
> > which I'm not sure is valid here. It basically said to first charge it
> > completely and then discharge it completely (though not in those words).
> >
> > Despite my misgivings, I'm currently trying just that, having charged it
> > as high as it goes and am currently leaving it on and disconnected to
> > see if running it all the way out helps. I'll report back when it's
> > done.
>
> OK, it didn't seem to have helped at first, but after a little while of
> charging after this process, the indicator started working, so it
> appears that the process is the same.
>
> However, I suspect mine's not really calibrated correctly in the max
> capacity, as charge_full is only about 87% (1077247 / 1233792) of
> charge_full_design (and this battery is brand new).
>
> So, I have a question: is it possible to temporarily disable the
> function that stops charging when the battery is full, so that it keeps
> charging as long as the device is plugged in?
>
> It's a nice function normally, to keep the battery healthy as long as
> possible, so I'll want it back afterwards, but I think it's interfering
> with battery calibration (the Mac instructions said to charge to full,
> then leave it plugged in (and charging) for another couple hours), so I
> would like to try without it once. (Well, assuming that wouldn't be
> spectacularly bad for the battery - would it be?)
>
> I've tried searching for it, but haven't found anything saying clearly
> either way, just some tangentially related issues (like an old one where
> it discharged all the way to zero, which has since been fixed).
>
> -Frode

I have 2 OpenMoko batteries, an older (1) and a newer (2) one. For battery 1,
QtMoko shows the charge indicator, but for battery 2 always the red outline of
the battery icon and, e.g., /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery/capacity
is not available.

Probably, bq27000 is still learning the characteristics of battery 2...

I had already charged it until
  cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery/capacity_level
showed "Full". Then I left QtMoko v49 running without locking the screen to
let the battery run empty.

Any other hints how I could help bq27000 with battery calibration?

Thanks,
Joachim