[Gta04-owner] How to bring forward the community?

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:28:11 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM, David Kalnischkies
<kalnischkies at gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S.: There are some hardware-"mods" available for closed phones to add
> a slider-keyboard to them, so it can't be that hard to do it for GTA -
> it will just make it even thicker… but who cares? At least you don't have
> to fear that you accidentally break it (without a software upgrade)… ;)

The GTA04 is obviously very open to modifications. If you want a
keyboard you could use the I2C bus to connect a keyboard controller
or, if you want it easily detachable, use bluetooth. I think the
trickiest part is to get/make the actual hardware with buttons. Cheap
bluetooth smartphone keyboards often provide a horrible typing
experience. If this issue is sorted out, grab the modified GTA04 CAD
data from Slyon (thanks!) and design your own hooks, sliders or
magnetic holders to be able to physically attach your masterpiece.
Then you can offer your keyboard enabled case and get rich and famous.
Well, maybe not that rich, but famous within the OM community ;-)
If you need support, just ask on this list. I can help you interfacing
the keyboard to the GTA04, but I'm not good at designing case mods or
keyboard keys..

Best regards,
  Christoph

P.S. Do you have a link to such a modded phone?