[Gta04-owner] How to bring forward the community?

David Kalnischkies kalnischkies at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 01:31:42 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 00:18, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:36:50 +0000 Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>
> wrote:
>> rhn <omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org> writes:
>> > Having an easy way to build and share programs (without the need of an
>> > entire distribution checkout like SHR needed if I remember right)
>> > would also help. Native compilation perhaps?
>>
>> FWIW, native compilation has always been possible on the GTA02, at least
>> under Debian.  Admittedly it was sometimes painfully slow - depending on
>> what I was compiling - but nevertheless definitely possible.
>>
>> On the GTA04 it is quite straightforward and quick to compile things.
>> I'm doing it all the time.
>
> While I agree with all the above, I would very much like to be able to
> compile GTA04 binaries on my x86_64 multi-core notebook.  I can do it easily
> for the kernel, but that is made much easier by the lack of external
> dependencies - no libraries to link with.
>
> I tried once - having a Debian/arm distro in a directory somewhere and
> setting up all the various paths, but I couldn't make it work.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?

If your host is debian this could become pretty soon pretty easy.
It all depends on the roll-out of Multi-Arch [0] in debian, though.
You might be lucky already by installing dpkg (and apt) from experimental
and adding 'armel' as an foreign architecture. If your are lucky enough
the libraries you need are already multiarchified and with a cross-compiler
you can make it fly (all this in a unstable chroot of course).
[Ubuntu is a bit ahead currently, but with a slightly different
implementation.]

Experimental should tell you that this should be used with a bit of care,
but the feature is planed to land in debian/wheezy, so heaven isn't that
far away. ;)

An alternative is installing a cross-compiler (e.g. from emdebian) on your
notebook and configure distcc on your gta{2,4} to route all compile jobs to
your powerhorse. Down-side is that compiling is not the only time-consuming
step in 'make', the pro-side is that it is very close to native-compiling.

Pick your poison.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies, poor student, Debian APT team member, implementer of
MultiArch in APT (so obviously biased) and still a proud owner of GTA02v5
who hopes his money tree research works out so he can (dist-)upgrade
to a GTA04 (or later) at some point… (aka someone sells it used on ebay)

[0] See e.g. this years fosdem video for an introduction:
http://video.fosdem.org/2012/crossdistro/Multiarch___why_it_s_important.webm

P.S.: There are some hardware-"mods" available for closed phones to add
a slider-keyboard to them, so it can't be that hard to do it for GTA -
it will just make it even thicker… but who cares? At least you don't have
to fear that you accidentally break it (without a software upgrade)… ;)