[Gta04-owner] GTA04 Hardware Board Question

thomasg thomas at gstaedtner.net
Sat Feb 18 17:58:05 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 17:21, xperia linux <linuxperia at gmx.ch> wrote:
> Hi to all.
> I have a question realted to the Hardware of GTA04.
> Most of the Mobile Phones today have limits when it comes to Displaying
> the Information on a Mobile Phone as the size of the Mobile Phone need to be small while lot of Information like Websites have hughe Sizes that can not fit on a small Mobile Screen.

That's not really a limit of mobile devices, but rather a result of
bad webdesign.

> Becouse of this and the allready small Screen of GTA04 i am asking me why
> the Hardware developers does not go the Way using
> Video Eyewear instead LCDs ?

Because Eyeglasses with displays completely take away your ability to
react to your surroundings and are totally unfit to be used for _any_
kind of mobile device usage.
They are meant for your sofa. Using them elsewhere is dangerous to you
and others.

> A Great Producer of such Video Eyewear especially also for Mobile phones
> is http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_browse.html
>
> It does allready works with Iphone
> http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap310.html
>
> Some Facts what such Video Eyewear provide compared to the small LCDs
> The sunglass-style Wrap 1200 sets a new standard for performance and excellence in video eyewear.
> Its huge 16:9 widescreen 75-inch display, as seen from 10 feet (3m), is the largest in the industry. Ideal for watching blockbuster movies on your mobile phone or touch pad, or other media device in 2D or 3D at home
> and on the go.

This are not facts, this is a marketing text snippet.

> My Question is how well is the GTA04 Hardware Board developed to support such Video Eyewear.
>
> I want to say that Google is already working on this Terminator Video Eyeglasses stuff for its android phones
> http://9to5google.com/2012/02/06/hud-google-glasses-are-real-and-they-are-coming-soon/
> and if you guys want success with your work you should concentrate on this Feature than on new LCDs

Getting rid of a display and introducing eyewear you can't really use
anywhere but at home doesn't seem like that huge business-opportunity
to me.

> Having the Possibility to watch Information over such a Gadget like the Vuzix Wrap 1200 Video Eyewear http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200.html on the GTA04 would be  for me one Reason more to Buy the Board as i dont need a LCD as a new Customer/Buyer.

You should buy one, because you should be able to use it.
GTA04 has video composite output via the 2.5mm jack, which is
supported by the OMAP processor. I don't know if anyone has tested
this yet, but it should work and the eyewear you mentioned offers an
iPod adapter which could be easily made fit with an 3.5mm to 2.5mm
adapter or by replacing the plug manually.

> Beside this one big Problem that all Mobile Phones have is the lack of a good Keyboard.
> What about the Possibility having a Virtual Laser Keyboard implementd in the GTA04 ? This would make GTA04 the Ultimate Mobile Device on Earth !

These things have a ton of problems. a) they use a lot of space b)
they cost a lot c) they use a lot of power d) they can only be used on
plain surfaces. So again, this is not fit for mobile usage, but for
portable usage only.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEuRSuLQrtk&feature=related
>
> Something that a lot of People are using are Digital Pens/Scriber.
> This should be afaik easy to be implemented in GTA04 mother Board and would make your work really upstay to other Mobile Phone makers!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8OEqPs-2lk&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Digital pens can be very useful, but I don't see their purpose for any
mobile handheld device usage. However, as GTA04 is a standard linux
device, any such pen which works on any linux machine can be used. If
it has USB or bluetooth and a driver is available, it can be used.