[Gta04-owner] NAND rootfs with neil's 3.2 kernel

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Fri Apr 6 09:06:31 CEST 2012

On Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:05:43 PM PaulK wrote:

> In order to port Replicant to the GTA04, we have chosen to use Neil's
> 3.2 kernel[1]. I have successfully imported Android stuff (from some
> linaro 3.2 android kernel) even though stuff may require a bit more
> work.

Cool.

> For now, we have adb (android debug bridge) working, which permits to
> access shell from USB. Though, it doesn't get far in the boot process as
> we remain on initramfs: android needs various stuff that has to be
> mounted (/system, /data, etc). As a result, we started wondering about
> how we should "repartition" NAND following the android scheme, but it
> was told that GTA04 NAND isn't reliable with the 3.2 kernel and fails to
> boot quite often

I'd be really carefull here. Once users start repartition their NANDs it will
be nightmare to troubleshoot problems.

My experience with NAND is that it often fails to mount correctly. So you have
to repeat boot until you succeed. But then it works ok.

> Is it currently safe to rely on NAND with neil's 3.2 kernel[1] or should
> we definitely consider using only uSD?

uSD works perfectly on GTA04. It's faster then NAND, you can buy big SD card.
I am daily using GTA04 as phone - it runs from ext4 on class 10, 16GB uSD and
never had single problem with it. I'd go for uSD.

Btw have you seen rowboat[1] project? They have android 4.0 for beagleboard.
It should be very similar to GTA04.

Regards

Radek

[1] http://code.google.com/p/rowboat/