[Gta04-owner] NAND rootfs with neil's 3.2 kernel

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Apr 10 13:09:31 CEST 2012

Am 06.04.2012 um 09:06 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:05:43 PM PaulK wrote:
>
>> In order to port Replicant to the GTA04, we have chosen to use Neil's
>> 3.2 kernel[1]. I have successfully imported Android stuff (from some
>> linaro 3.2 android kernel) even though stuff may require a bit more
>> work.
>
> Cool.
>
>> For now, we have adb (android debug bridge) working, which permits to
>> access shell from USB. Though, it doesn't get far in the boot process as

Great!

>> we remain on initramfs: android needs various stuff that has to be
>> mounted (/system, /data, etc). As a result, we started wondering about
>> how we should "repartition" NAND following the android scheme, but it
>> was told that GTA04 NAND isn't reliable with the 3.2 kernel and fails to
>> boot quite often
>
> I'd be really carefull here. Once users start repartition their NANDs it will
> be nightmare to troubleshoot problems.

Yes, please leave the NAND partition scheme as it is.

But just for my curiosity: why does android need a different one? What would
be benefits?

> My experience with NAND is that it often fails to mount correctly. So you have
> to repeat boot until you succeed. But then it works ok.

May be a kernel problem. I have never seen this on the hw-validation system.

>> Is it currently safe to rely on NAND with neil's 3.2 kernel[1] or should
>> we definitely consider using only uSD?
>
> uSD works perfectly on GTA04. It's faster then NAND, you can buy big SD card.

Yes, I have measured data rates up to 18 MByte/s.

> I am daily using GTA04 as phone - it runs from ext4 on class 10, 16GB uSD and
> never had single problem with it. I'd go for uSD.
>
> Btw have you seen rowboat[1] project? They have android 4.0 for beagleboard.
> It should be very similar to GTA04.

Yes, both systems are almost identical regarding the CPU and differe only in the
peripherals.