[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 GroupTour

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sat Dec 31 20:17:54 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 02:06 +0100, xdrudis wrote:

> I have wondered, how big
> > a deal is it to produce the same circuitry in a different sized PCB?
> > Like, for example, a PCB sized to fit in a case that can be 3D
> > printed? :-)
> >

> Sounds like a big deal. I think adapting a 3d case design to the PCB
> shape should be easier (and then the case would also be useful for
> GTA02 boards).
>
> But just adapting the existing case so that it can be 3D printed
> would already be great. I think the problem for 3D printing does
> not come from the shape of the PCB, but from the requirements of
> being small and usable as a phone.

I was labouring under the impression that producing a case for the
motherboard using a 3D printer was impractical due to the tolerances
required; 3D printers aren't capable of creating walls thin enough.

However, looking at the manual and inspecting older emails it seems as
though that problem is limited to replicating the existing GTA01/02
case.  There seems to be no reason a GTA04 board cannot be mounted in a
3D-printed case of a different design.

So, break out the repraps :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>