[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 GroupTour

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Fri Dec 30 02:06:25 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 02:36:34PM +0000, Bob Ham wrote:

> It seems to me that the necessity of using a GTA04 motherboard in an
> existing GTA01/02 phone is what is severely limiting the absolute number
> of sales.  The market is minuscule compared to other devices.  I would
> humbly suggest that the only solution to this problem is to sell
> complete phones and so change the target market.  (Note that by complete
> phones, I don't necessarily mean consumer-oriented phones.  It seems to
> me that the market for complete phones needing hacking is still much
> larger than the market for GTA04 motherboards alone.)

Indeed.

> It sounds like you are already on the road to producing new cases, which
> is excellent.  I would suggest also working on a modification to the
> GTA04A4 design to accommodate case components that can readily replace
> the GTA01/02 case components.  While I'm at it, I have wondered, how big
> a deal is it to produce the same circuitry in a different sized PCB?
> Like, for example, a PCB sized to fit in a case that can be 3D
> printed? :-)

Sounds like a big deal. I think adapting a 3d case design to the PCB
shape should be easier (and then the case would also be useful for
GTA02 boards).

But just adapting the existing case so that it can be 3D printed
would already be great. I think the problem for 3D printing does
not come from the shape of the PCB, but from the requirements of
being small and usable as a phone. If you lift these requirements
it should be easierto design a 3d printable case, but it still
takes a 3d designer.

> That said, there is still a month and a bit left of the group tour and
> we haven't even had New Year's Eve yet (or the recovery from it :-)
> Plenty of people have said they would be entering into the group tour
> after the holidays.  Patience is a virtue :-)  Still, making the group
> tour longer by extending the deadline a little might be a good idea.

I'm not sure changing conditions is a good idea. People have already paid
and are entitled to get their GTA04 or their money back in time. So
it should be voluntary, and thus if someone wants their money back
immediately, new group tour subscriptions in the new period would have
to compensate old subscribers leaving .