[Tinkerphones] PinePhone

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Feb 19 08:50:52 CET 2019

Hi Paul,

> Am 18.02.2019 um 17:35 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Monday 18. February 2019 06.35.56 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> HI,
>> it looks as if there is another project aiming at a pure-Linux device:
>>
>> https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7093&pid=43850#pid43850
>>
>> They have some developer-kits.
>>
>> It more or less resembles what I am doing with the Pyra-Phone - using
>> a SoC module, an LTE module, a mainboard, display and battery.
>>
>> But based on Allwinner A64.
>
> So there are a few different projects in some state of completion:
>
> Necunos NC_1:
> https://necunos.com/community/
> i.MX6-based mystery product
> - Closed development, supposedly available fairly soon
>
> Neo900:
> http://neo900.org/
> OMAP3-based successor to N900 and relative of GTA04, Devuan/Maemo-based
> - Project is mostly dormant
>
> PinePhone:
> https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7093&pid=43850#pid43850
> Allwinner A64-based relative of the Pine A64 family of boards
>
> Purism Librem 5:
> https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/
> iMX8-based, Debian/GNOME-based
>
> Pyra-Phone:
> http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/community/2019-January/001935.html
> OMAP5-based relative of the Pyra, Debian-based
>
> ZeroPhone:
> https://wiki.zerophone.org/
> Builds on the Raspberry Pi Zero (Broadcom SoC)
>
> The ZeroPhone was being readied for crowdfunding, although it now looks like
> the developer is doing something with a TI product (like those used in the
> PocketBeagle)...
>
> https://zerophone.github.io/newsletter/ZeroPhone-Weekly-No.-18/

It seems he is now switching to the AM3358 based OSD3358 SiP module.

I had designed the Letux Cortex 8 board (sort of predecessor of the PocketBeagle)
based on an earlier version. It is nice and really easy to use in PCB design and assembly.

I had thought about designing a GTA04A6 board based on this SiP to get around the
PackageOnPackage soldering problems, but it lacks some functions the DM3730 has.

Generally the OSD3358 is a little expensive compared to RasPi Zero. But it runs our
LetuxOS without changes. Unfortunately a single core Cortex A8 is also a little weak compared
to a RasPi 3B+ at same cost. But it is not always required to have a quad-core...

If the ZeroPhone becomes an 3358Phone it could become really easy to port QtMoko
and FSO because almost everything is already there :)

> But, as always, it is about more than just the hardware even if that is a
> particularly difficult part to get right.

Nice compilation of current projects! It is good to see that we have so many activities
and watch them.