[Tinkerphones] PinePhone

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Feb 18 17:35:43 CET 2019

On Monday 18. February 2019 06.35.56 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> HI,
> it looks as if there is another project aiming at a pure-Linux device:
>
> https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7093&pid=43850#pid43850
>
> They have some developer-kits.
>
> It more or less resembles what I am doing with the Pyra-Phone - using
> a SoC module, an LTE module, a mainboard, display and battery.
>
> But based on Allwinner A64.

So there are a few different projects in some state of completion:

Necunos NC_1:
https://necunos.com/community/
i.MX6-based mystery product
- Closed development, supposedly available fairly soon

Neo900:
http://neo900.org/
OMAP3-based successor to N900 and relative of GTA04, Devuan/Maemo-based
- Project is mostly dormant

PinePhone:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7093&pid=43850#pid43850
Allwinner A64-based relative of the Pine A64 family of boards

Purism Librem 5:
https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/
iMX8-based, Debian/GNOME-based

Pyra-Phone:
http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/community/2019-January/001935.html
OMAP5-based relative of the Pyra, Debian-based

ZeroPhone:
https://wiki.zerophone.org/
Builds on the Raspberry Pi Zero (Broadcom SoC)

The ZeroPhone was being readied for crowdfunding, although it now looks like
the developer is doing something with a TI product (like those used in the
PocketBeagle)...

https://zerophone.github.io/newsletter/ZeroPhone-Weekly-No.-18/

But, as always, it is about more than just the hardware even if that is a
particularly difficult part to get right.

Paul