[Community] New cell phone design wanted?

Dr. Michael Lauer mickey at vanille.de
Sun Jan 3 20:51:07 CET 2016

> Am 03.01.2016 um 19:15 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> On Sun, 2016-01-03 at 02:57 +0000, James wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've designed all sorts of hardware and firmware over the decades. I have
>> always wanted to design a cell phone that can support multiple different
>> open source software stacks. I'd like to hear what features and the resources
>> folks would like to see in a new cell phone where all the hardware is
>> disclosed so open source codes, from a variety of places, can be completed
>> and supported by the open source communities.
>>

>> So what is your desired feature list? (processor, ram, flash, peripherals?)
>>
> I am looking for something in the form factor of the gta04/openmoko but
> with a display not requiring any backlight in bright sunlight. So it is
> good for outdoor use. I do not want millions of brilliant pixels which
> can be only seen with a backlight consuming excessive amount of power in
> sunlight. Then I would prefer like 300000 not so brilliant pixels which
> can be seen without much power like it was the case with old Compaq/HP
> Ipaq devices.
> That seems to also be a combination which seems not to be easily
> available on the market. The smartphones I have seen solve the sunlight
> problem by using excessive backlight brightness consuming vast amounts
> of power.

I’d love to have a hackable Linux-based (smart-)phone with an E-Ink display
and a massive standby time, like, say, one week or so.

Since I don’t need much of the classical smartphone apps, I would be content with it
having more of a feature phone style UI on it though. I could even imagine
FSO being a great middleware for such a thing.

Cheers,

:M: