[Community] New cell phone design wanted?

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Sun Jan 3 19:15:19 CET 2016

On Sun, 2016-01-03 at 02:57 +0000, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've designed all sorts of hardware and firmware over the decades. I have
> always wanted to design a cell phone that can support multiple different
> open source software stacks. I'd like to hear what features and the resources
> folks would like to see in a new cell phone where all the hardware is
> disclosed so open source codes, from a variety of places, can be completed
> and supported by the open source communities.
>

> So what is your desired feature list? (processor, ram, flash, peripherals?)

I am looking for something in the form factor of the gta04/openmoko but
with a display not requiring any backlight in bright sunlight. So it is
good for outdoor use. I do not want millions of brilliant pixels which
can be only seen with a backlight consuming excessive amount of power in
sunlight. Then I would prefer like 300000 not so brilliant pixels which
can be seen without much power like it was the case with old Compaq/HP
Ipaq devices.
That seems to also be a combination which seems not to be easily
available on the market. The smartphones I have seen solve the sunlight
problem by using excessive backlight brightness consuming vast amounts
of power.

Regards,
Andreas