[Community] [Gta04-owner] Phone based on raspberry pi?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jul 31 15:25:46 CEST 2014

Am 31.07.2014 um 15:11 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Thursday, July 31, 2014 13:35:31 Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
>
> > I think this is a great educational DIY project, but of a little value
> > in practice.
> >
> > Aside of squeezing everything into a small case you have to care about
> > power consumption,
>
> But this could be easily verified using multimeter. Either they got it right or they got it wrong.
>
> > lots of little bugs (especially USB host related ones)
>
> This would IMO depend on how much raspberry kernel is mature. They got tons of users - so there is pretty good chance that all works ok.
>
> > It's a perfect topic for some workshops though - "make your own
> > smartphone"! Augmented with some programming lessons (Python?) and
> > using FSO API to "write your own smartphone OS" with whatever
> > graphical toolkit you'd find suitable for the audience, it could
> > probably be a perfect activity for some extracurricular activity
> > groups in schools :)
>
> Yup, and for 30$ it's really not much to loose. I plan to buy this board and do some playing with it. If it turns out to be useless for phone i'll connect it to my TV via HDMI.

I just realized this:

Unsoldering the USB, Ethernet and the power jack from the BeagleBoneBlack and adding a Display+GSM+Battery cape?
Could give a 20-25mm thick sandwich in the size of a GTA04... And the BBB is ~40 EUR. So if someone wants do develop
such things, goldelico can give a help to bring it to mass production.