[Community] [Gta04-owner] Phone based on raspberry pi?

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Thu Jul 31 15:52:32 CEST 2014

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 15:25:46 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> I just realized this:
>

> Unsoldering the USB, Ethernet and the power jack from the BeagleBoneBlack
> and adding a Display+GSM+Battery cape? Could give a 20-25mm thick sandwich
> in the size of a GTA04... And the BBB is ~40 EUR. So if someone wants do
> develop such things, goldelico can give a help to bring it to mass
> production.

Hi Nikolaus,
do you have ideas about the modem which could be used and how to attach it?

Nice. Btw few other random things:

- one of the GTA04 problems is price. Using cheap already built motherboard
could be solution?

- there can be community around the motherboard which could help with
kernel/SW.

Another problem is case. 3D printed case for GTA02/GTA04 is hardly usable. It
has thin walls that are easily breakable. It also has to be very precise
because of earpiece and other components.

But if we design the PCB and other components so that they require less
precision then 3D printing/milling would be much easier.

Btw you dont need HW buttons at all - you can double tap display for waking
the phone. Without HW buttons the case can be much more simple and the phone
could be water proof.

Regards

Radek