[Community] [Gta04-owner] Phone based on raspberry pi?

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Thu Jul 31 15:11:32 CEST 2014

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 13:35:31 Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:

> I think this is a great educational DIY project, but of a little value
> in practice.
>
> Aside of squeezing everything into a small case you have to care about
> power consumption,

But this could be easily verified using multimeter. Either they got it right
or they got it wrong.

> lots of little bugs (especially USB host related ones)

This would IMO depend on how much raspberry kernel is mature. They got tons of
users - so there is pretty good chance that all works ok.

> It's a perfect topic for some workshops though - "make your own
> smartphone"! Augmented with some programming lessons (Python?) and
> using FSO API to "write your own smartphone OS" with whatever
> graphical toolkit you'd find suitable for the audience, it could
> probably be a perfect activity for some extracurricular activity
> groups in schools :)

Yup, and for 30$ it's really not much to loose. I plan to buy this board and
do some playing with it. If it turns out to be useless for phone i'll connect
it to my TV via HDMI.

Regards

Radek