[Community] OpenPhoenux and Open Hardware - some thoughts...

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 27 19:19:18 CET 2014

Hi,

Am 23.01.2014 um 23:07 schrieb wonderphone at posteo.de:

> Hi all,
>
> I believe the Neo900 project has already created some of the spirit that the community was looking for in this old email chain, but I would like to take this up again to see whether we can boost it even more.
>
> This is the new product category in my opinion:
>    We are the first to do Smartphone right!
>
> With what has been done by the community we have - if we are not doing it already - the opportunity to build the perfect phone with reasonable extra effort.
>
> GTA04 and Neo900 are or have the potential to be:
>     (Also taking up some of the responses to the email of Nikolaus below)
>
> secure (as in privacy)
> fairly produced (manufactured with handsome German wages)
> environmentally friendly (CO2, waste)
> healthy (we can probably get more information on materials used)
> reliable
> trustworthy (community controlled)

+ durable
+ long-term supported (you still get QtMoko updates for the 6 years old GTA02).

So this alone might outweight the higher (initial) price. But it may be contradictionary to always having the latest and greatest Uberphones with bigger displays, octa-cores and 128 GB flash...

> Many people are longing for such a phone.
>
> What we already do with the Neo900 is perfectly right: We create a ready-to-use tool for users that are not technically interested and also offer the perfect toy for the technically interested people. (Sorry for writing always 'we' in my first post - I hope you don't feel it's offensive)
>
> The natural supplement of such a phone is a privacy-respecting und community-lead ecosystem that is different from the existing ecosystems where you are spied like nothing else. From my point of view this is currently the killer application for which the internet avantgarde is waiting. We can try to connect to the respective communities and projects like: fdroid, diaspora* (or even better social networks), pump.io , leap.se, a functional web proxy, a secure email provider, and some secure VoIP and whatsapp alternatives and integrate it in the standard software installation of the phone. Of course, with the still necessary warnings to empower normal users to make an informed choice.

Yes, that is a natural extension to provide "cloud services" in a community based and open way. Some first attempt was friendica.openphoenux.org but it failed because of lack of experience and time to finalize the setup.

Another approach could be to better integrate http://limesco.nl/ who was already our pratner at last year's FOSDEM stand.

> What do you think. Do these aspects sound interesting?

Yes, definitively.