[Gta04-owner] 3.2-gta04 updated - improved CPUIDLE

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Jan 26 23:53:27 CET 2012

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:12:32 +0100 Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 January 2012 11:44:50 NeilBrown wrote:
>
> > Hi again,
> >  I've just push out some changes to my 3.2 branch:
> >
> >   git://neil.brown.name/gta04 3.2-gta04
>
> Great i am now preparing release of QtMoko with this kernel.
>
> >  They mostly relate to CPUIDLE.  The current usage when the device is idle
> > is now around 100mA - it was around 200mA before.
>
> I can confirm current ~110mA with very dim but still readable display, ~130mA
> with bright display.
>
> >  Also the issues with SYNC loss on the video output should be gone.
>
> Yes, it works!
>
> >  I don't know if this will have affected the problem with touchscreen input
> >  getting lost - testing and feedback there is most welcome.
>
> No, the problem still remains.

OK, I'll hunt a bit and see what I can find.

> >  It is not impossible that what I have done will break bluetooth.  I've
> > made changes to power-saving on serial ports and bluetooth uses a serial
> > port... I think it should be OK but haven't actually tested.  If someone
> > wants to test, that would be cool.
>
> I just tried basic scanning and service discovery and it's ok. Will try my bt
> headset at home.
>
> >  I've been travelling a bit over the last couple of weeks and had the
> >  opportunity to use my GTA04 for network access - bare board with some wire
> >  pegged on to the antenna point.  I got a signal strength of about 8 (out
> > of 32??) and about 60KB/sec download which I was very happy with.
> >  Consequently the defconfig now includes netfilter so I can set up
> >  masquarading and 'tether' the phone to my laptop.
>
> Great, have you used pppd? And can you share your scripts or simple howto?

Simple howto:

0/ connect to /dev/ttyHS3  (others might work)
1/ make sure you are registered with network.
  e.g.
     AT+CFUN=1
     AT+COPS
     AT+COPS?

2/ establish data connection
     AT_OWANCALL=1,1,1

3/ collect status

   AT_OWANDATA?
  My response was
   _OWANDATA: 1, 49.179.102.244, 0.0.0.0, 211.29.132.12, 61.88.88.88, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0,144000
                 ^IP address   ^          ^DNS-1------^  ^DNS-2----^

4/  configure network

    ifconfig hso0 49.179.102.244 up
    route add default dev hso0

    echo nameserver 211.29.132.12 > /etc/resolv.conf
    echo nameserver 61.88.88.88 >> /etc/resolv.conf

And you should be set to go.  If you want tethering via USB then add:
 on GTA04:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.200 -j MASQUERADE

   (here 192.168.0.200 is the IP of my notebook on the USB interface.)

 on notebook/desktop/whatever

    route add default gw 192.168.0.202
    echo nameserver 211.29.132.12 > /etc/resolv.conf
    echo nameserver 61.88.88.88 >> /etc/resolv.conf

   (192.168.0.202 is IP of GTA04 of USB link).

To terminate data call

  AT_OWANDATA=1,0,1

You don't need pppd at all.

> >  This release also includes the fixes so that early_printk works as does
> >  reboot.
> >
> >  I was going to pull 3.2.1 into this tree but that causes USB to
> >  break when you suspend/resume, so I didn't.  I'll try
> >  again when 3.2.2 is out and fix up the issue properly.
> >
> >  I haven't looked at 3.3-rc yet.  However I know there have been lots of
> >  changes in areas that I am interested in (e.g. OMAP runtime power
> >  management) and also know that -rc1 has some breakage in that area.  So
> > I'll wait for -rc2 and then update all my patches to apply and see what
> > works.
>
> Thanks a lot for your work. It starts to look quite good. I am starting to
> have some positive experiences with GTA04 now. E.g. i left the phone on and
> when i came back second day it came from suspend and it was still alive. I was
> also able to connect to WPA-PSK wifi network and i am regulary using it for
> reading email now.

Excellent!!
BTW I forgot to mention in the announcement that the phone really wakes on an
incoming call now - I actually tested it and found the previous release
didn't quite get it right.

> I am still a bit afraid to use GTA04 for phone calls with anybody except my
> wife.

:-)

Thanks,
NeilBrown