[Gta04-owner] 3.2-gta04 updated - improved CPUIDLE

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Thu Jan 26 16:12:32 CET 2012

On Wednesday 25 January 2012 11:44:50 NeilBrown wrote:

> Hi again,
>  I've just push out some changes to my 3.2 branch:
>
>   git://neil.brown.name/gta04 3.2-gta04

Great i am now preparing release of QtMoko with this kernel.

>  They mostly relate to CPUIDLE.  The current usage when the device is idle
> is now around 100mA - it was around 200mA before.

I can confirm current ~110mA with very dim but still readable display, ~130mA
with bright display.

>  Also the issues with SYNC loss on the video output should be gone.

Yes, it works!

>  I don't know if this will have affected the problem with touchscreen input
>  getting lost - testing and feedback there is most welcome.

No, the problem still remains.

>  It is not impossible that what I have done will break bluetooth.  I've
> made changes to power-saving on serial ports and bluetooth uses a serial
> port... I think it should be OK but haven't actually tested.  If someone
> wants to test, that would be cool.

I just tried basic scanning and service discovery and it's ok. Will try my bt
headset at home.

>  I've been travelling a bit over the last couple of weeks and had the
>  opportunity to use my GTA04 for network access - bare board with some wire
>  pegged on to the antenna point.  I got a signal strength of about 8 (out
> of 32??) and about 60KB/sec download which I was very happy with.
>  Consequently the defconfig now includes netfilter so I can set up
>  masquarading and 'tether' the phone to my laptop.

Great, have you used pppd? And can you share your scripts or simple howto?

>  This release also includes the fixes so that early_printk works as does
>  reboot.
>
>  I was going to pull 3.2.1 into this tree but that causes USB to
>  break when you suspend/resume, so I didn't.  I'll try
>  again when 3.2.2 is out and fix up the issue properly.
>
>  I haven't looked at 3.3-rc yet.  However I know there have been lots of
>  changes in areas that I am interested in (e.g. OMAP runtime power
>  management) and also know that -rc1 has some breakage in that area.  So
> I'll wait for -rc2 and then update all my patches to apply and see what
> works.

Thanks a lot for your work. It starts to look quite good. I am starting to
have some positive experiences with GTA04 now. E.g. i left the phone on and
when i came back second day it came from suspend and it was still alive. I was
also able to connect to WPA-PSK wifi network and i am regulary using it for
reading email now.

I am still a bit afraid to use GTA04 for phone calls with anybody except my
wife.

Regards

Radek