[Openpvrsgx-devgroup] Reverse engineering SGX 540 userspace driver

Lucas Fryzek lucas.fryzek at hazeco.xyz
Wed Nov 10 02:51:34 CET 2021

(Re-sending as I forgot to reply-all to the whole mailing list)
Thanks for the quick response Nikolaus!

> a) OpenPVRSGX tries to include a DDK 1.14 or DDK 1.17 kernel driver -
> there is one version compatible to the jz4780
>    It explicitly excludes reverse engineering and focusses on kernel
> driver (which always was open source)
>    Home page: https://github.com/openpvrsgx-devgroup/linux_openpvrsgx
>    Mailing list:
> https://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/openpvrsgx-devgroup
>
> https://github.com/openpvrsgx-devgroup/linux_openpvrsgx/wiki/DDK-versions

Given that groups goal is to focus on the already open source kernel
driver, do you know if anyone in this group would have been involved in
any reverse engineering efforts?

> b) LetuxOS works on making the CI20 basics useable (currently we try
> to upstream the HDMI driver)
>    The status is that we can compile the kernel driver in different
> DDK releases but have no matching
>    user-space code to test anything.
>    I thought about using the mipsel version of qemu-arm-static to run
> the arm pvrsrvctl tool to
>    at least download firmware but did not find time to really try it.
Does the this updated kernel mode driver work with the latest userspace
DDK from imgtec (1.14.3759903)? I'm trying to get a setup right now
where I can compile a kernel mode driver and make modifications to get
a better idea on how the GPU is being controlled. If I can use a more
modern kernel and linux userland that would be very nice.

> c) there is a n900 originated project to improve user-space code
>    and if I understand correctly they have build a compatible
> user-space
>
> https://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/openpvrsgx-devgroup/2021-October/000472.html
>    https://github.com/freemangordon/mesa/tree/mesa-pvr-ti

Thanks for that mailing list link! I'll try reaching out Ivaylo on that
mailing list and see what exactly the nature of their work is. If I
understand their email correctly it seems like they already managed to
get a RE ES2 driver working.

> d) next, there was an FSF supported project with a collection of
> information but the original server has been lost
>    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE0MDc
>    http://powervr.gnu.org.ve - Unfortunately the wayback machine has
> only archived 302 errors
>    Maybe there exists some other archive.
>    Back then there was material about partially RE instruction set
> etc.

I took a look at wayback machine and I found a version of the project
properly recorded, and I found the following links.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130225101912/http://powervr.gnu.org.ve/doku.php?id=opcodes
https://web.archive.org/web/20151004182955/http://powervr.gnu.org.ve/doku.php?id=instructionencoding
http://lkcl.net/powervr/sgx/