[Openpvrsgx-devgroup] About GMA3600 Cedarview Graphics

James Hilliard james.hilliard1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:05:20 CEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 1:36 AM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi Alif,
>
> > Am 06.07.2020 um 09:21 schrieb Alif Ilhan <zakirhosain71 at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Thank you for a considering reply. If you want some hardware for testing, well I have one of those "ominous" Netbooks (apparently HP-Mini 110-4100 with Atom N2600 and GMA3600).
>
> Good to know! Especially a device model. It may be possible to find it on eBay...
Yeah, it's not all that hard to find these gma500 style GPU's on ebay,
cheap netbook
and nettop style systems are what usually have them, although you sometimes have
to look up the models first since the listings don't always properly
list the GPU's.

> > I would like to test out your drivers and tell you if those works or not.
>
> Well, the current driver is certainly not yet working for GMA3600 without test.
> It needs some work before it can show any activity.
Yeah, someone would basically have to reverse engineer the driver and rewrite
it since the userspace driver is seemingly completely incompatible with a x86_64
kernel+userspace. There are some leaked sources out there that could possibly
be used as a reference but even with those it would be a lot of work.

I did make an attempt at building OpenPVRSGX a while back but it didn't seem
feasible without rewriting all the proprietary userspace components.

> So what we need in addition to hardware is someone who can do this work on the driver
> and test every small modification.
>
> > The question is, is it already available in the main linux kernel or just here?
>
> Just here. It is still very unlikely that the driver is acceptable by kernel.org
> maintainers, even for drivers/staging.
The mainline kernel gma500 driver is probably the only viable option,
I did have some
work done on it to add page_flip support so that it works with wayland
on psb/cdv based
platforms.

I have a long life industrial embedded platform that I need to support
which uses
the GMA3650 with an Atom D2550 + NM10 Chipset.

It would be nice to have hardware acceleration on but it doesn't seem too likely
to happen anytime soon unless imgtec open sources their userspace driver.