[Letux-kernel] X1600 / LX16 support - here: fw_getenv() issue

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Feb 6 19:47:27 CET 2024

Hello Paul,

> Am 06.02.2024 um 19:37 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> Nikolaus,
>
> Sorry not to offer any comments before now...

No problem. Rome wasn't built in a day :)

>> There is only a small difference in uImage size and the entry point moves a
>> little. But no functional difference. At least with 5.10.y. 6.8 requires at
>> least gcc 5.1.0.
>
> I'm using Debian's gcc 10.2.1.

I had also tried with gcc 12.0 but also no difference. So it is not a compiler
issue.

BTW: are you using some cross-compiler from Debian or are you compiling natively
on a MIPS machine? I ask because Andreas has reported some strange compile
problems with a Bookworm cross compiler.

>> What I can't exclude so far is that the bug is also in letux-5.10.y-lx16 but
>> does not make the kernel boot hang, because the "damaging" of the
>> environment variables has a different result.
>
> Some kind of variable corruption due to a misconfiguration seemed like the
> cause when I encountered this problem.
>
>> So maybe I should try to backport the ll_printk stuff to the 5.10.y
>> kerneland try to look what it is doing differently at start_kernel().
>>
>> Any better ideas/suggestions how to identify this issue?
>
> Not immediately.
>
> At some point, I will review the UART driver and also consider the MMC/SD
> driver as well. I've been looking at the latter functionality independently
> from Linux, so I might be slightly more productive when I am able to turn my
> attention to it.

I have looked a little into it and it appears as if the MSC0/1 modules
of the x1600 are the same as with jz4780. At least the same address.

So we likely can take the compatible string ingenic,jz4780-mmc", move
some stuff from lx16.dts to x1600.dtsi and set up the clock (and potentially
the DMA nodes) and it might start to do something...

BR,
NIkolaus