[Letux-kernel] Memory freeze and timing CI20

Zhou Yanjie zhouyanjie at wanyeetech.com
Mon Feb 15 20:56:14 CET 2021

Hi Nikolaus,

On 2021/2/15 下午7:12, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Hi,
> sorry for the delay on my side now...
>
>> Am 11.02.2021 um 16:15 schrieb Zhou Yanjie <zhouyanjie at wanyeetech.com>:
>>
>> Hi Nikolaus,
>>

>> Sorry, I got caught up in other thins last few weeks.
>>

>> On 2021/2/5 下午2:53, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I got a hint from a member of the Pyra community who had been following
>>> the OMAP5 + DDR3 timing issues, that the jz4780/CI20 may have similar issues.
>>
>> Could you describe the specific phenomenon?
> I do not know more than described in the pull request description
>
>>> https://github.com/MIPS/CI20_u-boot/pull/18
> The author says
>
> "This fixes a few timing errors in the memory initialization routine, specifically the minimum self-refresh time which was too low for both Samsung and Hynix chip, as well as the four bank activation time and the exit-power-down-to-active-command delay for the Samsung ones. The changes are based on the memory chips' most recent datasheets as well as the JZ4780 manual and have fixed all memory-related freezes I've been experiencing with my board."
>
> But I haven't observed memory related issues myself. BTW it is not clear how to
> easily distinguish that from other freezes.
>
> What we had was a memory timing issue on the omap5. There stability did clearly depend
> on the installed memory chips (there were two variants) and tweaking the memory timings
> did fix it for all. It had something to do with automatic timing measurements and corrections
> of the DDR3 chips. This was not enabled correctly on omap5.

I'm glad to hear you fixed the timing issue, but unfortunately I am not
familiar with the memory timing training. The parameters in u-boot I
transplanted are all provided by Ingenic directly. I may not be able to
help much in this part.

>>   And witch version u-boot do you use?
> I use this u-boot:
>
> https://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-uboot.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ci20-v2013.10
>
> seems to be a 2013.10 u-boot with a lot of fixes up to 2017.

I am also using this version, and have not encountered timing issues for
the time being.

>> It seems that now the u-boot mainline (after version 2019.01) also supports CI20.
> So it could be that the mainline u-boot already includes the patch
>
> https://github.com/MIPS/CI20_u-boot/pull/18/commits/3c4bdbd749edc344abf11823282363d79c1d5eeb

I'm not too sure. To be honest, I haven't read the mainline u-boot code
of CI20 carefully. I am trying to port the u-boot of X1000 and X1830
from the 2013.07 version (provided by Ingenic) to the 2015.04 version to
provide support for FIT.

>>> I am not sure if it is needed or not since my board works well without - except
>>> the freezes I had observed with SMP but I did not relate this to memory timing.
>>>
>>> There is a patch floating around:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/MIPS/CI20_u-boot/pull/18
>>>
>>> I have checked an in my U-Boot it is not included but could be added.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> BTW: what is the status of the SMP / Cache driver?
>>
>> It seems to work normally based on 5.10.7, I will send it to you later.
> Fine and thanks!

The new patch is in the attachment, you only need to replace thee
original [10/13] patch with it. So far, there is no abnormality in the
test of X1000 and X1830, and there is also no abnormality in the
single-core test of JZ4780, the dual-core test has not yet been completed.

Thanks and best regards!