[Letux-kernel] New branches (was Re: jz4780 CI20 v5.8 (was jz4730))

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Jul 17 18:36:36 CEST 2020

Hi Paul,

> Am 17.07.2020 um 00:39 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Monday, 6 July 2020 15:05:00 CEST H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>>> Am 05.07.2020 um 22:41 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>>>
>>> I thought it might be something as simple as that. So, I have now pushed
>>> the following branches:
>>>
>>> paulb-jz4730-letux400
>>
>> ^^^ I have converted this into a new letux/jz4730-v4 and fixed a minor
>> merge issue when baking everything together to letux-5.8-rc4.
>>
>> It compiles but we still have no means to test it :)
>
> I'll try and get round to testing once more of the pieces are in place.
>
>>> paulb-jz4780-ci20-hdmi
>>
>> I have cherry-picked and rebased on top of letux-5.8-rc4 (with SMP fixes).
>> Boots fine, has SMP, creates /dev/fb0, makes the display backlight go on.
>>
>> But as you observed, there is no signal recognised by the monitor.
>>
>> And I can confirm the HPD unplug kernel panic. Even the same bad virtual
>> address.
>
> I have now pushed some new branches rebased onto 5.8-rc5 for the JZ4730 and
> JZ4780:
>
> paulb-jz4730-letux400-5.8-rc5
> paulb-jz4780-ci20-hdmi-5.8-rc5
>
> I hope this was the right thing to do.

Yes looks good!

> I had to fix quite a few conflicts
> including in various device tree files for ARM-based devices, although these
> typically resulted in the conflicts evaporating and me having to do "git
> rebase --skip" to continue (since "git rebase --continue" said that there was
> nothing changed).

Hm. strange. A simple rebase to letux-current should usually work.

> The JZ4730 branch hasn't seen any more work yet: it only has TCU, CGU and
> pinctrl, I think. For some reason, jz4730.dtsi was missing, so I have added it
> and corrected the CGU references.

Fine!

> The JZ4780 branch should have a working LCD controller, but the HDMI signal is
> still not yet working. However, I did fix the hotplug event kernel panic.
>
> Both branches compile successfully but obviously need testing!

I'll cherry-pick your latest patches for letux-5.8-rc6 which likely comes
on Monday.

You can try another rebase on top of that - so that all material merged
into letux-5.8-rc6 will go away.

Or you can add new commit on top of your branches and let me know.

BR and thanks,