[Letux-kernel] OMAP5: inconsistency between target-module and dsi_of_data_omap5 / module_mipi_dsi_driver panel with omapdrm

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jul 8 09:52:17 CEST 2020

Hi again,

> Am 07.07.2020 um 21:04 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>
> Hi Tony and Tomi,
>
>> Am 07.07.2020 um 20:01 schrieb Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com>:
>>
>> * H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> [200706 16:11]:
>>>
>>> None of them supports the vendor specific MIPI commands of
>>> this panel.
>>>
>>> Therefore we have our own panel driver for years and try to
>>> keep pace with upstream changes.
>>
>> OK yeah would be good to have it upstream. It might see use
>> on some other platforms while waiting for the pyra dts files.
>
> So if you think we can get the panel driver upstream without the
> pyra dts files I am happy to submit something for review.
>
> But I have to fix it first.
>
> Maybe Tomi can comment about ideas what structural changes have
> been done so that it got broken since v5.7-rc1. Then it becomes
> easier to fix for me. Maybe there was some rework in omapdrm/dss
> which needs some change in the driver.
>
> And what I would need to know before I start to write new code is
> if is possible to operate a video mipi dsi panel with driver from
> gpu/drm/panel together with omapdrm (v5.7 and later).
>
> If this is possible it should be quite easy to mix the
> old omapdrm/display driver code with e.g.:
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-orisetech-otm8009a.c

I did a quick test on a 5.7.6 kernel with the sysc fixes as
suggested by Tony.

Then I overwrote the compatible entry of our display to be
orisetech,otm8009a and configured to build the otm8009a panel driver.

The panel driver is loaded, but not probed (no call to otm8009a_probe).
It is shown in /sys/bus/mipi-dsi/drivers (and lsmod) but not /sys/bus/mipi-dsi/devices.

So what should I try next?

BR and thanks,