[Letux-kernel] snd-soc-omap3pandora.ko

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Feb 26 07:26:27 CET 2020

Hi Stefan,

> Am 25.02.2020 um 23:13 schrieb Stefan Leichter <sle85276 at gmx.de>:
>
> Hello,
>
> first of all please bear with me, I'm usually not working on the kernel
> source.

No problem!

> I looked into the reason why the kernel module snd-soc-omap3pandora.ko
> doesn't load on the pandora when running modprobe for it. My finding is
> the call to the generated function machine_is_omap3_pandora() [1]
> returns false. This reason for this is that __machine_arch_type is true
> (0xffffffff) instead of MACH_TYPE_OMAP3_PANDORA (1761). The "true" value
> is set in setup_machine_fdt() [2] from the generic device tree [3][4].

Ok, that may be a flaw when converting to device tree some years ago.
Unfortunately this was incomplete and there is still some platform based
code around.

Generally I think the modern way of checking the machine type is completely
different and machine_is_omap3_pandora() should be replaced by some direct
check for the compatible strings. It also seems as if the snd-soc-omap3pandora.ko
is the only location using this function.

> What I like to know is: Based on the finding does the
> module/initialization work as expected? If not what should work
> differently?

It may depend on other modules being probed successfully.
What is AFAIR missing is the codec driver.

> If the initialization works as expected, where/what are the
> required changes to get the snd-soc-omap3pandora.ko module to work with
> the letux kernel?

I have made a note in the issues list:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/938/

so that it does not get forgotten...

And I may take a look into it when finding time.

BR and thanks for reporting!
Nikolaus