[Letux-kernel] JZ4730 kernel support

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Oct 11 13:55:29 CEST 2019

Hi Paul,
it is a while that you have provided a provisional JZ4730
implementation for the kernel and since then I have tried
to keep pace with upstream changes as good as possible.

Now we are at v5.4-rc2 and there have been more changes
from upstream which are not exactly compatible. Mainly
something in pinmux, framebuffer and there is a new JZ4760
if I remember correctly.

I have tried my best but in some cases I was only able
to #ifdef FIXME some parts to get the remaining code compile.

Unfortunately I still have not reworked one of my Letux400
devices to provide a serial console port for debugging.

So could you please take care of doing a review and
provide a patch set (on top of the existing patch sets)
to fix it like you think it should be right?

The relevant branches are:
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/letux/jz4730
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/letux/dt-mipsbook400
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/letux/pm-mipsbook400

Only the first one is core jz4730. The others are for
the mipsbook and should still be ok.

Then it makes me wonder if we have a chance to get
these things upstream eventually. This would avoid the
situation like we have that upstream changes something
and we do not actively update our patch sets.

With having these patches upstream those who do changes
would have to take care of it...

My proposal: if you take care of upstreaming the jz4730
code I take care of the mipsbook things.

Depends of course on how much time you can invest and
if you are able to still run tests on real hardware.