[Letux-kernel] CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y + CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y = trouble

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Fri Oct 4 07:29:12 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 23:18:59 +0200

> > Am 03.10.2019 um 23:06 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > after a maunal bisect of letux_defconfig...omap2plus_defconfig
> > I found out that you just need to set
> > CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y
> > instead of
> > CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_PERFORMANCE=y
> >
> > after applying omap2plus_defconfig
> > to create the bad address problem.
> > At least I have now some material for a bug report.
> >
> > still weird the whole thing.
>
> Really strange. I'll try tomorrow.
>
> Well, it could be a dangling pointer or out-of-index array access which
> depends on compiler optimizations...

That is my guess also. But probably a thing hard to find. But it is not a
letux problem. If my error messages do not ring a bell at someone,
kind of "bisecting" this might be helpful, compiling half of the kernel with O2 the other
one with Os. But one has first to find out how to do that.

> That we did hit a compiler bug is a little unlikely. I am using gcc 4.9.2

yes, that is really unlikely.

> > But we could just use CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_PERFORMANCE
> > for now.
>
> Well, the OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is because the uImage has a tendency to grow
> and grow with every release and some years ago we even had to modify the
> NAND partition scheme from 4MB to 6MB.

yes, I remember that. But probably we can go forward if we use
CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_PERFORMANCE for now. I try to just report that
CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE problem and want to avoid debugging that too much.

I get 5775600 as uImage size now with CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_PERFORMANCE.