[Letux-kernel] CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y + CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y = trouble

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Oct 3 23:18:59 CEST 2019

Hi,

> Am 03.10.2019 um 23:06 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> after a maunal bisect of letux_defconfig...omap2plus_defconfig
> I found out that you just need to set
> CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y
> instead of
> CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_PERFORMANCE=y
>
> after applying omap2plus_defconfig
> to create the bad address problem.
> At least I have now some material for a bug report.
>
> still weird the whole thing.

Really strange. I'll try tomorrow.

Well, it could be a dangling pointer or out-of-index array access which
depends on compiler optimizations...

That we did hit a compiler bug is a little unlikely. I am using gcc 4.9.2

> But we could just use CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_PERFORMANCE
> for now.

Well, the OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is because the uImage has a tendency to grow
and grow with every release and some years ago we even had to modify the
NAND partition scheme from 4MB to 6MB.