[Letux-kernel] Raspi3B+ support

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 7 18:11:55 CET 2019

Hi Levi,

> Am 07.01.2019 um 17:49 schrieb levi <levi2015 at cobaltlake.co.uk>:
>
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 17:02:27 +0100
>>
>> Nevertheless the description of -@ "Enable generation of symbols" is
>> not very helpful. Why would one enable that? What happens if not?
>> What are "symbols" etc. Questions over questions...
>
> I think it's referring the symbols as in debug symbols, the kind of
> thing you need to build in in order to get anything sensible out of
> gdb, assuming it's even possible to debug this.
>
> But a bit of internet searching got me to this commit:
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/dtc/commit/dd6a0533e846e8d5e690a618fa35cc15a6103efb
>
> That says:
> "This is sufficient to implement a dynamic DT object loader."
>
> Whether you actually want that I don't know, and I couldn't tell you
> how to pass the right option to dtc within the wrapped up tools.
> But you did ask the question...

Ok, this description in the commit gives another hint to my current
theory that the Raspi boot loader needs this information to load the
DT and modify it before starting the kernel...

To answer the real question if compiling with -@ makes the DTB bootable
on RasPI can only be found by trying :)

While we did chat by mail I have written a small wrapper so that I
can run the kernel-dtc on my build-host outside of the kernel tree
or make process.

With that I can easily compile the bcm2837.dts with -@ option. But only
after finishing the current work which is rebasing letux to v5.0-rc1
and debugging my wrongly resolved merge conflicts.

BR and thanks,