[Letux-kernel] drm/omap: Remove panel-dpi driver

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Apr 11 08:14:21 CEST 2019

Hi Tomi,

> Am 11.04.2019 um 07:58 schrieb Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com>:
>
> On 11/04/2019 07:38, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Hi Laurent,
>> when scanning linux-next it appears that the panel-dpi driver will been removed soon.
>>
>> What is the replacement?
>>
>> Does the replacement work without changing DTS?
>>
>> If not, is there a migration document what has to be changed in the DTS?
>
> DRM's simple panel is the replacement.
>
> You will need the panel data to be added to the simple panel driver, as
> it won't read the timings from the DT (unfortunately, in my opinion).

Hm. How does this work? Is there a description? I have no experience with
DRM simple panel.

At the moment this looks to me like a non-acceptable regression...

Especially if I consider the recent discussion of the need of gpiolib to still
support the 5-10 years old "spi-cs-high" property which is suspected to be embedded
in some out-of-tree DTB files. This did almost break newer inside-tree DTS, e.g.
our td028ttec1 SPI panel (because gpiolib did invert the CS). Fortunately they
found a fully compatible solution.

So with this DTB stability policy in mind it seems too early to remove the
panel-dpi driver unless there is a compatible solution which does not break
existing DTB.

BR and thanks,