[Letux-kernel] bno055

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Apr 5 08:03:07 CEST 2019

Hi Andreas,

> Am 04.04.2019 um 17:26 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am just wondering why the dtb does not enable fusion modes, so you directly
> get orientation angles and do not need to mess so much with the sensor values.

Well, AFAIR they were not tested...

> Does the power consumption increase much?

Probably yes.

> What about calibration, esp.
> hard iron offsets. Does the chip do these things automatically,
> or do we need to do it manually?

I think the magnetic calibration must be done manually. Even on iPhone they
ask the user to move the device in an 8 shaped pattern.

> E.g. for the bmc150 in the gta04a5 I have 306 and 723
> for x and y offsets.
>
> IMHO this magnetic things could go into dtb.

They are very specific to the individual device (exact position and strength of speaker magnets)
and IMHO may even change over time.

> And the bno055 mode should be runtime-configurable, not via dtb. It is a policy
> setting.

Yes, that was something the original author also mentioned. If we want to ever get it upstream,
we should address this.