[Letux-kernel] DSI panels with omapdrm on 4.20-rc

Tomi Valkeinen tomi.valkeinen at ti.com
Mon Nov 19 13:38:38 CET 2018

> now as the panel-dpi device is working and Sebastian's patches make our
> Pyra dsi panel driver at least load successfully, I have tried to find
> out more about what is going on.
>
> It does probe(), connect() but seems to never call enable(). Hence it
> is not sending any dcs commands to the panel.
>
> Attached is the current driver code and a boot log. Device tree is the
> same as for earlier kernels, so it should be ok (unless dsi panels need
> to define new properties).

I haven't had a chance to look at this (or Sebastian's patches), but one
thing to note is that Sebastian has been working and testing with DSI
command mode panels. You're using video mode panels. They work quite
differently, and video mode panels should work without Sebastian's work
(specifically the work that's for command mode panels). However, there
were some general DSI fixes in his series, which are likely needed.

So I suspect that either something got broken for DSI video mode panels
because of Laurent's patches, or some of Sebastian's patches enable
command mode but at the same time break video mode.

> Maybe you can spot something which is missing. For example, I have seen
> that there is a new propery dssdev->caps which we did not touch before.

No, those shouldn't be needed.

> Or there is .suppress_bind_attrs = true which I simply did copy from
> panel-dsi-cm.c assuming it is needed for all dsi panels.

That shouldn't matter. It's just for preventing the userspace from
unbinding the panel driver.

 Tomi

--
Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki