[Letux-kernel] Fixing TILER

Matthijs van Duin matthijsvanduin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 07:51:07 CET 2018

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 19:42, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> 2. in xserverrc (should not make a difference if a systemd rule is used): /root/tiler-ctl 270

Note that rotating the framebuffer should not require any tools at
runtime. Adding drm_kms_helper.fbdev_rotation=8 (it was 8 right? or
2?) to the kernel parameters should suffice.

>    this already makes the console rotate (except that there is no visible cursor for 90/270 and cat /dev/urandom >/dev/fb0 also does not show a pattern)

But other than this the console still works normally, i.e. text still
shows up? That's... really bizarre.

Note btw that using read() or write() on /dev/fb0 (e.g. with cat) uses
the kernel-mapping of the fbdev (like the framebuffer console) rather
than a userspace-mapping (like every other fbdev client, including
xorg-video-fbdev), and the code paths involved are quite different.

> 4. xrandr --output Unknown16-1 --rotate right / left / normal / inverted shows all 4 rotations

That either means:
1. you're using software rotation, or
2. you're using xorg-video-omap, which has always worked (even without
my patches).

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 03:14, Michael Mrozek <EvilDragon at openpandora.org> wrote:
> If you're using X with omapdrm or modesetting, the framebuffer isn't
> used and thus, you are not using TILER.

That's not accurate. There are two parts to my patches:
1. (tiler/fast) Improve performance of userspace mappings of
TILER-allocated framebuffers.
2. (tiler/fbdev) Hack the legacy fbdev to allocate it in TILER and rotate it.

The effect on X11 depends on the video backend used:
1. xorg-video-fbdev: simply renders into the legacy fbdev hence will
be rotated without being aware of it. No xrandr support unless
emulated (slowly) in software.
2. xorg-video-omap: does not use the legacy fbdev. This supports
rotation and has always used TILER. It benefits from the performance
improvements of my patches.
3. xorg-video-modesetting: does not use the legacy fbdev. Its attempts
to rotate will fail because it uses "dumb" buffers which are not
allocated in TILER. I did once make a patch that forces "dumb" buffers
(patch/tiler-buf-dumb) to be allocated in TILER, but this breaks all
dma-buf users (such as SGX) because dma-buf export of TILER buffers
was never implemented correctly in omapdrm.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 19:12, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> The problem is that I have not even the tiniest idea how the tiler patches
> work and make use of the TILER. They basically modify frame buffer layout
> and enable some more write modes and user-space mapping.

The crucial changes are:
1. (patch/tiler-buffer-fbdev) allocate a tiled buffer in
omap_fbdev_create (pass OMAP_BO_TILED_32 to omap_gem_new)
2. (patch/tiler-fbdev) add a kernel parameter to set the rotation of
the legacy fbdev

It all ended up a bit hacky, for a large part because omapdrm had no
support for kernel-mapping of tiled buffers and I wasn't sure how to
implement it properly :P

> But that is all. There is no explicit code in the patch set to write any TILER
> control register differently

Why would you expect any?

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 21:20, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> So this has something to do with panel orientation!
>
> It may be in conflict with our TILER code and tiler-ctl...

I agree, it sounds like there's good potential for interaction. It
also sounds like it could at least replace the final commit of my
patch/tiler-fbdev branch, though I haven't yet looked at it to confirm
(but I will after sending this email).

> if (rotation != DRM_MODE_ROTATE_180 || !plane->rotation_property) {
> fb_helper->sw_rotations |= rotation;
> return;
> }
>
> which makes me think that this code indeed disables hardware rotation for /dev/fb0.

No, plane->rotation_property != NULL, so it should not use software rotation.

> It may still use TILER for X11. But I have no means or do not know any means to test
> if TILER is used or not.

grep rotation /sys/kernel/debug/dri/[0-9]/state

Matthijs