[Letux-kernel] diffs between linus/master and letux-base

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Feb 7 15:25:05 CET 2017

Hi Andreas,

> Am 07.02.2017 um 12:47 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 08:26:51 +0100
>
>> Hi,
>> in the long run the only diffs between letux-base and linux/master
>> should be reduced to DT and defconfigs and our private Letux/
>> subdirectory.
>>
>> Currently we have a little more, but not really much:
>>
>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/hwmon/twl4030-madc-hwmon.txt
>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/leds/tca6507.txt
>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/twl4030-madc.txt
>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mmc/mmc.txt
>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/power_supply/twl4030_madc_battery.txt
>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/video/video-ports.txt
>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/clock.c
>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/display.c
>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap_device.c
>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/powerdomains3xxx_data.c
>> crypto/asymmetric_keys/Kconfig
>> drivers/extcon/extcon-gpio.c
>> drivers/gpu/Makefile
>> drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/displays/panel-sony-acx565akm.c
>> drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/dss/dsi.c
>> drivers/gpu/pvr/Kconfig
>> drivers/gpu/pvr/Makefile
>> drivers/hwmon/twl4030-madc-hwmon.c
>> drivers/input/keyboard/gpio_keys.c
>> drivers/input/misc/twl4030-pwrbutton.c
>> drivers/mfd/twl4030-audio.c
>> drivers/mfd/twl4030-power.c
> will check this one.
>
>> drivers/mmc/core/core.c
>> drivers/mmc/core/slot-gpio.c
> didn't expect differences here, will have a look what's
> up there.
>
>> drivers/mtd/ubi/io.c
>> drivers/net/wireless/marvell/libertas/if_sdio.c
> will check this one
>
>> drivers/phy/phy-twl4030-usb.c
> already looked through
> only the fake-host stuff is worth keeping.
>

>> drivers/regulator/tps6105x-regulator.c
>> drivers/tty/serial/omap-serial.c
>> drivers/usb/musb/musb_core.c
>
> will check this one.
>

>> But other diffs are quite spurious and for ca. 30% I don't even know
>> why we need them or if they harm. What do you think about them?
>>
> Which procedure should be followed to revert stuff to mainline
> For the files I clean up, should I myself revert the file in letux-base
> and then add the remaining, still needed stuff into a branch?

The standard procedure I do is to revert in the feature branch first
(git checkout linus/master; git commit -sm 'revert' -a), and then revert
this manual revert, split and fix this revert revert until it fits...
This should ideally result in the same code after merging as before.

If everything is still ok, the first revert goes to the work/for-next-letux-base branch.
This is merged every now and then so the revert finally goes to letux-base.
And then a rebase letux-base makes it disappear everywhere else, i.e. also
in the feature branch.

But this means you shouldn't commit to letux-base or work/for-next-letux-base
yourself since it may mix up my activities in unpredictable manner... And
even worse I do a git push -f for those.

So just let me know when you have such a patch branch ready. Then I can
cherry-pick the revert and do the rebase and everything else.