[Lenny400] [Letux-kernel] JZ4730/Minibook framebuffer driver updates

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Sep 12 22:35:56 CEST 2017

On Tuesday 12. September 2017 21.16.22 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> It did apply fine to the work/hns/mips/defconfig branch, but afterwards I
> could no longer merge all branches without merge-conflicts. So I have left
> it out for the moment. Because I am working on a better scheme to
> manage/update the letux_defconfigs.

Apologies if the patches weren't optimal. I struggled to get git to do the
right thing, and then it surprised me by splitting a commit in format-patch
for some reason (probably something I don't care about as a user).

[...]

> I am still thinking about an easily manageable strategy for this quite
> fundamental problem (would be easier if we mix back jz4730 and mipsbook
> into a single branch, but this is not how it should be submitted
> upstream).

For the purposes of developing and testing, having the code, configuration and
device tree on the same branch is essential. I then have to try and split
these things up across several branches, which is annoying but not impossible.

The other approach is to try and introduce changes on their own feature
branches and then merge them into my "work" branch, which really is cumbersome
because it doesn't lend itself to rapid development and testing.

I think it is arguably easier to just split things up at the end. There should
be hardly any board-specific stuff, and it is easy to identify. Moreover, the
structure of any submitted patches is likely to be different from the
repository history, anyway: I can easily see things being divided up into
functional groups.

I have some more patches in the pipeline, but it occurs to me that I might be
better off sending you my SSH public key so that I can push directly to
various branches, although it worries me that things might not go as planned
if I do that.