[Lenny400] [Letux-kernel] JZ4730/Minibook framebuffer driver updates

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Sep 12 21:16:22 CEST 2017

Hi Paul,

> Am 10.09.2017 um 18:53 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>

>> Am 10.09.2017 um 00:04 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>>
>> On Saturday 9. September 2017 23.49.29 Paul Boddie wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm still figuring out my workflow, but I aim to only send patches that
>>> apply to your branches.
>>
>> Attached is another patch against the work/pboddie/mips/jz4730 branch. It
>> removes configuration options that are superfluous for the Minibook, so you
>> may not want to apply it.
>
> I have looked through it and yes it is mainly superfluous. It comes from copying
> the arm letux_defconfig and just changing the CPU architecture...
>
> I'll review and check.

It did apply fine to the work/hns/mips/defconfig branch, but afterwards I could
no longer merge all branches without merge-conflicts. So I have left it out for
the moment. Because I am working on a better scheme to manage/update the letux_defconfigs.

Merging defconfigs up-to-date is not trivial. There come new Kconfig entries from
mainline and as soon as you run 'make *config' they will appear. And if we split
config changes into multiple branches, they might not merge well on top. And the
worst case is that we have a feature branch where we add new Kconfig. This means
we should add the defconfig in the same branch.

But then we should not have dependencies between CONFIG_JZ4730 and CONFIG_MIPSBOOK.

A potential solution could be to split up feature branches (jz4730, mipsbook) from
the Kconfig records. Making the resulting branches not compile well.

I am still thinking about an easily manageable strategy for this quite fundamental
problem (would be easier if we mix back jz4730 and mipsbook into a single branch,
but this is not how it should be submitted upstream).

So at the moment I can't get a letux-4.13.1 merged without manual intervention...