[Lenny400] More patches for linux-stable

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Sep 3 11:24:58 CEST 2017

Hi,

> Am 03.09.2017 um 00:22 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> Hello,
>
> Following on from the previous patches, I've attached some more changes
> affecting the following files:
>
> arch/mips/boot/dts/ingenic/jz4730.dtsi
>
> (Added DMA, LCD and MMC definitions.)
>
> arch/mips/include/asm/mach-jz4740/platform.h
> arch/mips/jz4740/board-minipc.c
> arch/mips/jz4740/platform.c
> arch/mips/jz4740/reset.c
> arch/mips/jz4740/setup.c
>
> (Removed certain device definitions, disabled some code that is incompatible
> and maybe superfluous - watchdog timer code in reset.c - and fixed IRQ
> references.)
>
> drivers/clk/ingenic/jz4730-cgu.c
> include/dt-bindings/clock/jz4730-cgu.h
>
> (Added DMA clock.)
>
> drivers/dma/dma-jz4740.c
>
> (Added JZ4730 customisations related to register differences.)
>
> drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-ingenic.c
>
> (Just a small comment to remind people like me what is going on.)
>
> drivers/video/fbdev/Kconfig
> drivers/video/fbdev/jz4740_fb.c
>
> (Added JZ4730 customisations related to hardware capabilities.)
>
> drivers/watchdog/Kconfig
> drivers/watchdog/jz4740_wdt.c
>
> (Added JZ4730 customisations related to register differences.)

Nice!

> I'm starting to think that the way forward with some of this is to expand
> Nikolaus's .dts file and to try and somehow eliminate platform.c and board-
> minipc.c altogether, plus headers like base.h and irq.h. This seems logical
> enough but also needs to be possible technically, of which I am unsure at the
> moment.

Yes, I think the platform/board files can be almost eliminated. Or replaced
with generic MIPS/Ingenic boilerplate. For OMAP devices it took ca. 10 major
kernel releases to boil down the platform and board files to a single generic
board file:

http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.13-rc7/source/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-generic.c

> Paul
> <jz4730-minipc-linux-stable-ef954844c7ace62f-ba7b4f54f9215831.diff>

Hm. Could we change to use git format-patch which makes it easier to apply to the Letux tree?

Maybe this helps to squash multiple commits into a single one:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/616556/how-do-you-squash-commits-into-one-patch-with-git-format-patch

BR and thanks,